Friday, October 21, 2011

Oh bother

Well here we go again. It seems like there is never a dull moment here at the "L" house. The bazaar is happening in 2 weeks and the dishwasher flooded the kitchen the other night. We noticed a problem with the floor a couple of weeks ago and Trav investigated the entire kitchen and went under the house where Jerry lives (The dragon) and found no water damage. After looking up the model number and brand of flooring that was originally installed we found out that it is not to be used for bathrooms or kitchens. Of course. The company who manufactures the floor will not replace it because we are not the original owners of the home so we figured we were hosed and were going to have to make due until we could afford to replace the floor ourselves. Large kitchen rug it is!! Not being really happy with that answer I begrudgingly went out and bought a rug to hide the horrible looking and now dangerous tripping hazard floor with a nice red rug. I have grown fond of the rug now and enjoy that it brings out the red wall we have in the kitchen. On the evening of the 19th I stepped on the rug as I went to put dishes in the sink and quickly realized that it was soaked in 1 place. Thinking it was one of the kids that spilled water and didn't want to fess up I blotted it up and went about my evening. We don't usually run the dishwasher during the day and do it while we are sleeping (Trav says the electricity is cheaper at night) but I needed to run it because I spent a lot of the day baking. At about 11pm we were just about to start filling the dishwasher again to run it at night like usual and fount that the entire rug was soaked. After lifting it up and running it outside we noticed a ton of water and more flooring puckering up and swollen with water. I spent the following day making calls, talking to our insurance company, and found we are covered for such a disaster. Whew! This morning the restoration company came and assessed the damage and tore out a lot of the floor and we now have 3 very large industrial fans and an industrial dehumidifier which we have to run constantly until the restoration company comes back at some point on Monday. At this point it looks like the cabinets may have to come out and some of the underlaying floor will need to be replaced. We will be getting a new floor and if the cabinets need to come out basically a new kitchen. On one hand this is a huge pain but I have to admit I am a little excited as I was never super happy with the kitchen but it worked and was basically new so we didn't make a fuss about it. This could be fun? My camera is having some troubles so I only had my phone to snap a couple of pictures but you can see some of the damage and wonderful Barry (Who was very nice and quite funny) did a great job with the kids around and keeping us entertained while he worked.

1 comment:

Craig and Donna said...

That's awful! And yet I must confess that I do have my own secret hope that someday we will have a horrible (insurance covered) disaster on our pergo flooring that will force replacement :) And if the cabinets were to go, who would know I was secretly jumping in glee? Sorry for the inconvenience, but excited for pretty new kitchen features!